See our latest COVID-19 information Read more.

Legal Information

When someone dies, there can be a lot of legal information that needs to be handled.

While we can't provide legal advice, here are some links that may help you to deal with legal information after someone dies.

If you're unsure of something, we recommend you consult a qualified legal expert for advice.

General legal information

  • The NSW Department of Communities & Justice has a guide to some of the legal matters you need to consider when someone dies. See their Law Access website for details.
  • The NSW State Library's Find Legal Answers website is also a helpful resource for general information. It includes links to places where you can get legal help and advice.

NSW Trustee and Guardian

The NSW Trustee and Guardian is a government agency that can help with things like making and storing wills, administration of deceased estates and trusts, powers of attorney, and guardianship appointments.

See the NSW Trustee and Guardian website for more information.

Justices of the Peace

If you need a Justice of the Peace (JP) to sign or witness any legal documents, check the NSW Justices of the Peace Register.

Wollongong, Thirroul and Dapto libraries also regularly have JPs available during set hours. See the Wollongong City Libraries' website for details.